Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a procedure which make use of Metvix or Levulan Kerasticks(consist of Aminolevulinic Acid HCI – ALA) in conjunction with light illuminators: Red light, Blu-U, IPL or Vbeam. This treatment targets mainly at more severe acne and scarring, and will also benefits oily skin type and enlarged pore size.
Metvix/Kerastick will act as a “smart bomb” that treats specifically for the problematic skin cells, kills the bacteria Propionibacterium (P. acnes). If left untreated, these bacteria will lead to inflammation and potentially form acne scars on the skin.
Dr. Phoebus Wong suggested that depending on individual condition, it may require 1 to 3 sessions of treatment for desirable results.
- Metvix/Kerastick will be applied onto the patient’s face from 30 to 120 minutes depending on individual condition.
- After that, will proceed on treatment with Blu-U or combination of light illuminators (Blu-U, IPL or Vbeam) to activate the medication.
- Treated area may be red and peeling for 3 to 7 days.
- Patient should avoid direct contact with any strong lights within the first 48 hours after the treatment.
- Sunblock must be applied on the treated area.